Oh, dear me. My son is very adventurous, and he has a new found love for candy. Relevance? you ask. Well, he enjoys pulling over a stool or chair to climb up on to the kitchen counter and get into the cupboards where his new favorite treat resides. I have requested that he not do this, alas he is a free spirit and cannot be contained! Actually, he is a very stable climber, so it's not the counter that makes me worry. It is that he could certainly do this in the bathroom cabinets as well, where the medicines are.
Another thing about my son; he has been taking medication since he was born, so pills are normalcy to him. They don't scare him in the least, he takes them with relish (no, not literally the condiment, he doesn't seem to like the taste- which is strange because he loves pickles). I am pretty sure that I have instilled in him the belief that medicines should only be dispersed by his mother or me, yet he is only 2 1/2 years old and precocious; therefore not to be trusted.
Again, relevance. Hold on, I'm getting there. So our segment today on the Yuck! Box makes me very nervous. Those pills and candies look waaaaaaay too much alike. Not that it would matter to my child, who has no aversion to pills. It is a great eye opener to me that I need to invest some free time (I know, what's that? AmIright?) in Yuck!ing up my house. Honestly though, I think the super-sweet rave-green Mr. Yuck! stickers would only encourage him to be deviant. What's a father to do?
I think the Yuck! Box is a great teaching tool for both parents and educators. Both to alert kids to be careful because medicines are increasingly looking like candy, and to show the deceptive advertising and packaging used by manufacturers (very similar to the cereal aisle). "Buy our drugs, they're just like candy!" Our little activity in class today really got me thinking about this.
Mr. Yuck! isn't totally to keep the kids away from stuff. It also helps serve as a reminder to us parents, or anyone with a vested interest in the safety of children, to not become complacent.
No comments:
Post a Comment