Things I learned in class today, part 7: Sex Education
Apparently, "circumcised" and "of a certain size" sound very similar. Also, the musical stylings of George Michael and Salt 'n' Pepa (google it) did not prepare me to teach sex education nearly as much as I thought they did.
Mostly I learned that even current teachers who's lesson plans are light years ahead of mine still search for a way to make them better, a way to find that missing piece that allows their material to click in with the kids. For me it was not only reassuring, but inspiring. I felt very fortunate to get to see an in-service k-8 educator plying his trade right in front of my eyes, going through the same thought processes to develop a lesson plan that we did, and kind enough to narrate them for us as he went.
It raised questions for me about teaching style, teaching methods, and how to deal with your objectives and the state standards. Our instructors give us the raw basics and most of the tools, but we never really know how to use them. That is why I thought seeing an educator put them to use and grapple with things first hand was so cool.
No comments:
Post a Comment