I guess I haven't done the shopping very much in the past few years. Or, actually, it is probably more of a case that my family doesn't really eat cereal. After spending an awkward 20 minutes in that aisle researching, I was blown away to find out just how much sugar was in everything. Discussing it all in class today, and having one of our Micro-Teaching lessons being all about sugar really brought it to the forefront of my mind.
I suppose that I just assumed the sugary cereals were all geared towards the kids, but I found it was actually much more common for the adults to be targeted. For every Special K or Corn Chex, there was an encircling "halo of evil" of sweetened and modified versions of those same cereals. "If you like this, then you'll looooooooove these!" *Ugh*. Then to actually see how much sugar 17 grams (the standard for sugary cereals as per my research) is, via the presentation from our classmates, provided stunning evidence that we are not being encouraged to make healthy choices by our nation's food providers.
I have been struggling recently to cut down on my sugar intake to provide a better example for my two year old. Coming from a man with a sweet tooth, it has been a tough battle. Delving into this topic a bit further is helping me to find some tools that I can use on myself, and potentially with my future students. The knowledge of what sugars do to the body and where they come from is great information for teaching .
No comments:
Post a Comment