A couple of us have been discussing how we plan to use class websites and blogs in our future classrooms to keep parents informed and involved in what is going on. I am beginning to fully embrace the necessity of technology in the classroom and am becoming more and more excited at its possible applications. However, as I begin to delve deeper into the benefits of a more digital classroom, I am also uncovering more and more potential pitfalls. One of the largest of these involves social class.
I would love to have a “wired” classroom with technology being used on-site to research projects, compose creative pieces and numerous other things. But the class day is short. Inevitably those tasks will have to be handled outside of school, be it alone or collaboratively. Therein lies the problem; what do we do when some of our students do not have access to a computer at home? I could definitely see this in issues of poverty especially. Not only would those kids struggle to meet goals from not having easy access to a computer, they are operating from a deficit skill-wise simply by not being as familiar with the required technology.
Setting aside school time for them to do the work would perhaps solve the problem, but it creates that social hierarchy again of the haves (can do the work at home or use their iPhones, etc.) and the have-nots (must scramble to find time at school or library to do the assignment). Also, these kids would lack the social capital of know-how and would most likely require added assistance (although simply by being born in the digital generation they may have ingrained abilities that I for one lack).
I'm searching for the answer of how to incorporate a lot of technology based/ creative assignments which will prepare the kids for the increasingly digital “real world”, yet not create stress or social complications for some of my potential students. I know these types of projects develop the skills needed to succeed in our ever-changing world and I want to ensure that all of my students have equal access to them.
I would love to have a “wired” classroom with technology being used on-site to research projects, compose creative pieces and numerous other things. But the class day is short. Inevitably those tasks will have to be handled outside of school, be it alone or collaboratively. Therein lies the problem; what do we do when some of our students do not have access to a computer at home? I could definitely see this in issues of poverty especially. Not only would those kids struggle to meet goals from not having easy access to a computer, they are operating from a deficit skill-wise simply by not being as familiar with the required technology.
Setting aside school time for them to do the work would perhaps solve the problem, but it creates that social hierarchy again of the haves (can do the work at home or use their iPhones, etc.) and the have-nots (must scramble to find time at school or library to do the assignment). Also, these kids would lack the social capital of know-how and would most likely require added assistance (although simply by being born in the digital generation they may have ingrained abilities that I for one lack).
I'm searching for the answer of how to incorporate a lot of technology based/ creative assignments which will prepare the kids for the increasingly digital “real world”, yet not create stress or social complications for some of my potential students. I know these types of projects develop the skills needed to succeed in our ever-changing world and I want to ensure that all of my students have equal access to them.
Good Morning Peter,
ReplyDeleteExcellent questions. Two teachers who are doing great tech work in Title one schools blog under "Learning is Messy" and "Elementary my Dear, or Far From It". I'm pretty sure that each would welcome conversation about how these things work out with their kids.
Some of these same kids have little reading material at home, but we don't hesitate to teach reading out of concern that they might have limited access to reading materials in their homes. We've figured that out... and now do have new challenges in the more expensive tools of learning available to us.
Let me know if you comment on the blogs of teachers who are working some of this out -- I'd love to hear what they say.
I agree with Jane-- you are asking excellent questions. Jane and I were part of a conversation about this issue the other day and the group proposed that the biggest issue of equity and access and class with technology is turning from your question-- what do we do when some of our students do not have access to a computer at home? to a concern for the ways technology is used and taught in the classroom. So, rather than looking at who has access to technology or who does not have access to it, you look at how technology used in classrooms. The concern here is for students who use computers to word process (low tech skills) to students who use computers to research ideas and connect with other learners and teachers from all over the world (maximizing technological abilities). This had me thinking... what do you think about that re-framing of equity and access issues?
ReplyDelete